The way in which an organism acts in response to stimulus is called a behavior.
behavioral adaptation is an action that aids survival.
- Escaping danger
- Building protective shelters
- Gathering or capturing food
- Finding a mate
- Caring for young
Any behavior that an organism is born with, and does not have to learn, is an inherited behavior.
An instinct is a type of inherited behavior that helps an organism act in a way that aids in its survival.
A reflex is the simplest type of inherited behavior. It is a quick, automatic response to a stimulus.
Learned behavior is a reaction to stimulus that an organism is not born with. The organism must learn or be trained to carry out a learned behavior.
- A jaguar cub learning to hunt
- A dog that has learned to obey commands
- A Seeing Eye dog that is trained to guide the blind